Get your server issues fixed by our experts for a price starting at just 25 USD/Hour. Click here to register and open a ticket with us now!

Author Topic: Recover/ Reset / Change / Remove lost admin/user account password  (Read 2834 times)

mohitht

Hi All,

I've installed windows OS  long ago on my laptop, but I forgot its password. Since that is an admin account , I can't able to reset the password through safe mode . I dont have any password reset Floppy / Usb disk to reset. Finally I've successfully reseted the same with a few simple steps.

Step1 : You need a bootable disk / usb if that contains Linux OS it's much better

Step2: Boot the Disk and select the live cd version of linux

Step3: Goto the windows directory where you have installed the windows OS.

Step4: Search for cmd.exe and Magnify.exe Replace both names by interchanging there names ( for cmd.exe change it to Magnify.exe and vice versa )

Step5: Remove the bootable disk and restart the machine

Step6: Select the windows OS to boot and click on utility icon ( check on Magnify the screen) click ok

Step7: This will load the comandprompt window ( since we replaced the cmd.exe with magnify. exe )

Step8: Type the following in command prompt

netsh "username" "password" 

The above username is the name of the account and password should be new password

press enter

then login with the new password

That's It  :)