Get your server issues fixed by our experts for a price starting at just 25 USD/Hour. Click here to register and open a ticket with us now!

Author Topic: Disable IPv6 Components on Windows vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008  (Read 2870 times)

vinayakk

Microsoft Windows Vista, 7 and 2008 server editions supports IPv6 but recently while working on one Windows 2008 Server I have faced many problems with DNS as IPv6 records where inserted in DNS zone. I have disabled IPv6 from Network properties but it didn’t helped.

To disable IPv6 components you have to make changes in Windows Registry i.e. you have to add new DWORD value “DisabledComponents“ at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Services/Tcpip6/Parameters. You can do it the hard way by navigating to TCPip6 parameters if you have many servers it was going to be a time consuming process so I have opened notepad

1) Open Notepad (Start >> Run >> notepad)

2) Copy Paste Following

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesTcpip6Parameters]
“DisabledComponents”=dword:000000ff

3) Save it on Desktop with .reg extension.

4) Double click on it and it will show you a warning like below. Press Yes

5) If you get following screen; all required changes and updates have been made in Registry

FYI: Following are the other values which you can use to configure the IPv6 protocols (From Microsoft Website)

Type 0 to enable all IPv6 components. The value “0″ is the default setting.
    Type 0xffffffff to disable all IPv6 components, except the IPv6 loopback interface.
    Type 0×20 to use IPv4 instead of IPv6 in prefix policies.
    Type 0×10 to disable native IPv6 interfaces.
    Type 0×01 to disable all tunnel IPv6 interfaces.
    Type 0×11 to disable all IPv6 interfaces except for the IPv6 loopback interface.

Thanks  :)